Friday, July 18, 2014

Xcrawl Diary III: Hiatus/ Mister Goodman



Hiatus

Xcrawl hibernated for a few years. What happened? The same thing that happened to all those “D20 boom” publishers: the D&D 3E craze was slowing, and Pandahead, like many publishers, moved on to focus on other projects. Panahead had a few books left on the burner when we had to stop production.  Another player’s book, this one chock with character options like prestige classes, equipment, and new specialties, the Antarctic Crawl, which was going to be a doozy of a “real world” adventure.  And a dream project, an Xcrawl monster collection. I have a ton of notes on both of them and I truly hope to someday see them all in print.

Freed up from constantly playtesting Xcrawl, I branched out into other games. I ran a lot of Deadlands and Call of C’thuhlu. I worked on my own rules system, and played a bit with that. I I moved from Marietta, GA, to Athens, GA, and after a few dry months I hooked up with a new gaming group. I met a gal. And I wrote a couple of the old 3rd Edition Dungeon Crawl Classics adventures, which were a whole lot of fun to work on. One of them was my first and so far only ever epic level adventure, Belly of the Great Beast which was tremendous fun. Grueling game – when you play epic there are so many factors to consider and evaluate that the simplest encounter takes an hour.

I was still making the convention scene whenever I could. I missed one year of GenCon during this period, and was utterly miserable for it. I got a call on GenCon Saturday from Steve, a guy I play with every year. He was in the dealer’s room and he wanted to know what time we were going to get together and play. And my heart played the chord of sadness.

I missed Xcrawl. Not working on it left a hole in my life.

Mister Goodman

Back when I moved back to Marietta, Georgia, I got myself a job at the game store in the mall. For legal reasons, I will call this place the KameGeeper.

Other than the fact that it paid less than I had made in high school when I was frying chicken at KFC, it was a good gig. The inventory was mixed between board games, card games, fancy chess sets, and about two shelves of RPGs. The staff, on the other hand, were all hard core RPG people, and we talked gaming incessantly – like, people were getting written up kind of incessantly. Looking back, I remember thinking that the old Geeper had a surprisingly good selection and variety of RPGs on the shelves, and I had my first exposure to a lot of systems there (including GURPS, which I played for the first time at an in store game on the clock. On the clock Liz Lemon! 

As my buddy Frank would say, good tymes!

We got a new game one day, Broncosaurus Rex, published by Goodman Games. I give it the thumb through, then I actually read the first couple of pages between ringing up sales and trying to talk people into trying Rook.

(NB – You should still try Rook. It’s hard to get me to play anything that isn’t an RPG but Rook is a hip card game).

Broncosaurus Rex, for the non initiates, is a brilliant game where you get to fight the American Civil War in space with dinosaurs.

Just typing the above sentence fills me with such joy that I have to go and kiss my wife. Talk amongst yourselves for like five minutes.

Back. She’s making some kind of curry out of our trusty green Bittman book. My kitchen smells heavenly.

Okay, I was talking about the Civil War in Space with Dinosaurs.
Civil War in Space with Dinosaurs. That should be the name of a cocktail involving moonshine and crème de cacaio. Or a Phish album.

I remember saying to my old work buddy (no idea what his real name was anymore but his friends called him Panda) something to the effect of see here, this guy is into the same stuff I am. Why does all fantasy have to be medieval? And for that matter, why does all fantasy have to be based in the British tradition? Lords and ladies, knights fighting dragons, elves and trolls and giants? Why can’t we change it up?
Broncosaurus Rex and Xcrawl have something very cool in common (although written like that I notice for the first time another thing – one ends in an X, one begins with one #takealookatthisscully), which is that they are both fantasy stories based in the American tradition, rather than the British. There is a good reason most fantasy games are steeped in English history and tradition, and for legal considerations I will call that reason The Fnord of the Schlings, but that makes it all the more cool for me to see someone consciously put that aside – lovingly put it aside, mind you, with all respect – and try something different.

Our two games have something else in common as well – both take an absurd situation and deal with it very seriously, while at the same time having fun with it. That speaks to similar sensibilities, and reading those couple of pages that day at the KameGeeper I was nodding my head and thinking, yeah this guy is hip. 

Months and months later when the Xcrawl core book was nearly out and we were going from state to state doing game demos, I noticed a booth with a bunch of Goodman Games covers pinned to the curtain behind the table. I thought, wow I’m going to go meet the Goodman Games reps and tell them that their game ruled.

I wound up meeting Goodman Games himself. Joseph Goodman was my age, super approachable, and into talking about his game. I told him about Xcrawl. He liked the idea, and actually looked away for a moment and said something like “Yeah, that’s a great idea. I wish I had thought of that.”

We started seeing each other at conventions. Turned out he lived in Atlanta, about an hour from where I was staying in Georgia. We were both very busy, but we managed to game a couple of times. Joseph came and helped me test out my Regulator’s game, a kind of cosmic genra mash-up I was playing around with for a while. 

When his Dungeon Crawl Classics line took off, he let me work on it. I sent him a pitch for a plant based dungeon, and he gave it the thumbs up. That became Dungeon Crawl Classics #10: The Sunless Garden.

Fun Fact: My first the first time I ran the Sunless Garden was the worst playtest game I have ever ran. I let the crew roll up their own characters, and the geniuses decided that everyone would take at least two levels of monk. Sounds like a good idea until you think about all of the spellcasters being a minimum of -2 levels versus the challenge rating of the adventure, which was full of nasty stuff including a high level treant druid. Then at one point, a player got bored and just ran up and knocked on a door he found in the dungeon – that would be the door to the bugbear caverns with 24 hour guards on it. I will say this – the crew’s deaths were valiant, and chock to the brim with kung fu.

A while later, I asked Goodman if I could write an epic level adventure. Greenlit, I made up a game where the player’s would have to head out to space to rescue literacy itself. That game, DCC#33: Belly Of The Great Beast, was the only time I ever had to ask for a significant extention on a deadline. Those statblocks were like to kill a man. Luckily, I had Aeryn “Blackdirge” Rudel backing me up on that one – best stat guy in the business.

And right about the time I turned Great Beast in, Joseph and I started talking about Xcrawl.

Somewhere in my house is a notebook with a rant I wrote about my professional life that I wrote sometime during the hiatus. I touched on my personal goals, health goals, writing goals. The handwriting gets worse and worse as it goes on – it was that kind of evening. But the very last line, scrawled large, is this sentence: I AM NOT THROUGH WITH XCRAWL!”

Damn skippy.

Long Story Short

Goodman Games licensed Xcrawl. 

The first Goodman Games adventure was Necromerica. When we first decided to do it (and Joseph jump in and correct me here if I am remembering this wrong), Goodman Games needed something fairly quickly, and so I went with the dungeon I had run on and off for two years at various conventions, and home games. True story – I started writing Necromerica in the back of a car on its way back to Georgia after a convention, either GenCon or Origins, I can’t remember. My very first thought was, what if Harly Quinn, as played by a Tank Girl era Lori Petti, ran a dungeon crawl event?

Necromerica is probably the most playtested adventure I ever wrote – I ran it three times for various groups of friends, followed by a year of con games and pickups. It is so important to me for many reasons. It’s the beginning of my relationship with Goodman Games, and with artists Brad McDevitt and Jermey Mohler, both of whose work feature prominently in Maximum Xcrawl. And the dungeon so much fun for me to GM – DJ Creature Feature is this funny yet hideous yet bizarre character that I have so much fun writing for. I think the encounters are crazy, and well layered . . . nothing seems all too terrible, until you hit the last room on a level and realize just how much of your resources you had to spend just to survive up to that point.

Next up: a tour through the Goodman Xcrawl adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment